Friends of Fernandina Aviation Scholarship
to the National Flight Acadamy
Come Aboard the virtual air craft carrier, AMBITION
The National Flight Academy offers one of the most exciting and immersive learning experiences in the world. While living, working, eating and sleeping on a simulated aircraft carrier, students are inspired to take an interest in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). Students apply science and math skills while planning missions, using Newline interactive displays powered by Google Earth technology. They also learn to fly in the X-12B Triad experimental aircraft, a state-of-the-art simulator.
What is the NFA Learning experience like?
Participants live for 6 days in a multi-story, 102,000 square foot facility experiencing theme-park style thrills surrounded by advanced technology, flight simulators, and virtual reality games that ignite imagination and encourage learning.
- Curriculum developed by the University of West Florida and taught by experienced professional such as former US Navy Aviators.
- Hands-on learning includes state-of-the-art technology and equipment.
- Students learn aerodynamics, propulsion, navigation, aviation physiology and meteorology.
- Receive workforce skills such as critical thinking, problem solving and teambuilding. - Ultimately, using the knowledge and skills they have learned during the week, students must collaborate with team members and successfully complete a simulated humanitarian mission.
How can I get selected to attend the National Flight Academy?
- Be an 8th grade student enrolled at either FBMS, YMS, or St. Michaels Academy.
- Submit a written recommendation from your science teacher.
- Demonstrate a marked interest in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.
- Have at least a 3.5 GPA
- Submit a 250 word essay that answers the question: In your opinion what is Man's most significant technological achievement and what did it contribute to mankind?
- Be interviewed by the selection board
How long is a deployment week?
Deployments are held during summer vacation so they don't interfere with school schedules. Each deployment extends for 6 days and 5 nights (Sunday - Friday), ending with a graduation ceremony on day 6.
When will I be able to attend the NFA?
The Friends of Fernandina Aviation has reserved the following NFA deployment week:
Deployment date: Sunday, June 23, 2019 - Friday, June 28, 2019.
Is the National Flight Academy a safe environment?
Full-time, 24/7 physical and electronic security are provided throughout the facility when programs are in session.
Access to the National Flight Academy facility, especially the berthing and academic floors, is monitored and closely controlled by proximity card readers.
AMBITION Experimental Pilots (AXPs) are issued hotel-room like keys that allow access to their berthing areas, assigned staterooms, and work spaces.
During program hours, each squadron of AXPs is assigned a full-time staff "facilitator". Outside of those hours, overnight staff resident assistants, healthcare professionals, and trained security personnel are on-site.
Security cameras monitor common areas and all hallways. A fully qualified nursing staff led by an RN oversees a four-bunk sickbay on-site, along with storage and administration of specialized medications.
Learn more about the many ways students can experience this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity; visit The National Flight Acadamy